South San Francisco, CA
The Corporate Counsel will work as a trusted partner in close collaboration with internal stakeholders and external partners to effectively provide a broad range of legal services. The initial primary focus will be on managing the company’s compliance with state and Federal securities laws. The role will also include drafting, reviewing and negotiating terms of various agreements, contracts, licenses and transactional documents, advising management and other employees on applicable law related to the company’s business, and generally serving as a legal representative and point of contact on various legal matters in conjunction with outside counsel, including compliance, real estate/facilities, security, investor relations, regulatory, business development, corporate/securities law, finance, HR and governance. The role will report to the VP Strategy & Finance and interact with the leadership team as well as all other colleagues.
(duties are not limited to the below and may evolve over time and change depending on business needs and individual expertise )
- Maintain compliance with federal and state securities laws, including preparation of 10-Ks, 10-Qs, proxy statements and other SEC reporting and compliance obligations
- Primary responsibility for preparing and filing ’33 and ’34 Act documents
- Contract review, negotiation and management
- Draft, review and negotiate complex contracts and agreements in various functional areas, e.g., clinical trials, manufacturing, supply, scientific collaboration, intellectual property, confidentiality.
- Advise on contract status, legal risks and liabilities associated with different transactions
- Oversee administration of contract database and monitor counterparty compliance
- Develop, refine and update contract templates and processes
- Business development and commercial transaction
- Strategic support on term sheets and agreements including early stage discovery, commercial-stage collaborations, license agreements, service agreements, and other contracts
- Partner with internal departments to support business development, clinical/research operations, and overall business objectives of optimizing contract terms while minimizing risk
- Interact with internal stakeholders and external partners/vendors and build trusted advisor relationships
- Exercise excellent legal judgment to provide pragmatic risk-based counsel
- Anticipate and mitigate legal issues/risks and advise on legal policies and other strategies, guidelines and processes
- Stay current on changing legislature, anticipate legal issues that could impact the company and make recommendations for action
Education & Experience
- JD required from a nationally-accredited law school with a minimum of four years relevant legal experience
- Current license to practice in CA /Bar Member in good standing
- Minimum four+ years experience in a major law firm and/or in-house counsel position, with strong preference for experience working in or supporting biotech/pharma
- Experience in compliance, public company reporting and corporate governance
- Subject matter expertise in laws and contracts related to drug discovery and development companies, with experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts with research institutes, academic medical centers, biotech or pharma companies, and contract research organizations (research, manufacturing and/or clinical)
- Proven track record of progressively increasing responsibilities in the legal field
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- A collaborative nature coupled with a strong work ethic
- Demonstrated experience in handling confidential and sensitive situations and information while exercising a high degree of discretion and maintaining strict confidentiality
- Highest regard for ethics and compliance
- Identify inefficiencies and proactively offer/implement practical solutions
- Ability to function at a high level in a team setting whether leading or as an individual contributor
- Credibility to effectively interact and influence stakeholders at all levels both internally and externally
- Strong client relations and project management skills, highly collaborative and willing to engage in various tasks
- Excellent communication skills, written, verbal and interpersonal. Ability to influence and articulate POV
- Sound judgment and critical thinking skills
- Highly detail oriented and meticulous with information and data
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, balance competing and shifting priorities in a fast paced environment, working well under pressure and cross-functionally
- Organized with effective time management and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Independent problem solver comfortable as a department of one and able to think high and low, wide and narrow
- Administratively self-sufficient, with mastery of MS Office
- Knowledge and usage of database management and document preparation systems and tools
Tempest Guiding Principles
- Be Respectful and Collaborate
- Work with Integrity and Rigor
- Commit to Personal and Corporate Growth
- Strive for Success
About Tempest Therapeutics:
Tempest Therapeutics is a clinical-stage oncology company advancing small molecules that combine both targeted and immune-mediated mechanisms with the potential to treat a wide range of tumors.
The company’s two novel clinical programs are TPST-1495 and TPST-1120, antagonists of EP2/EP4 and PPARα, respectively. Both TPST-1495 and TPST-1120 are advancing through Phase 1 studies designed to study both agents as monotherapies and in combination with other approved agents.
Tempest is also developing an inhibitor of TREX-1, a double-stranded DNA exonuclease that is designed to control activation of the cGAS/STING pathway, which is an innate immune response pathway that induces the production of IFN-β, a cytokine that is well-established to trigger the development of anti-tumor immunity. Oral delivery of a TREX-1 small molecule inhibitor is intended to selectively activate STING in tumors, leading to anti-tumor immunity.
Tempest is headquartered in South San Francisco and supported by notable healthcare investors. More information about Tempest can be found on the company’s website at www.tempesttx.com.
Tempest Therapeutics, Inc. offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Qualified candidates should forward a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Local candidates only, relocation is not provided.
PLEASE NO PHONE CALLS or AGENCIES.
Tempest Therapeutics, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.